By SIRIVISH TOOMGUM
THE NATIONAL Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) will work with the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society (DE) to fine tune coordination over homepages with allegedly illicit content.
NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith said yesterday that the ministry informed the NBTC that from May 1 to July 16 this year it had identified a total of 3,726 URLs with illicit content it wanted to block, of which 2,556 were on Facebook and 980 on Youtube.
The ministry at around the same time informed foreign social network operators that it wanted around 1,800 URLs removed from their networks.
Takorn said that he would inform Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Juntong, who is in charge of the ministry, that both should seek ways to ensure that both the ministry and NBTC share the same sets of information about the sites that the ministry wanted to block.
These foreign social network operators also confirmed with Thai ISPs that they had already finished shutting down all 1,800 URLs since last Friday as requested by the ministry, he added.
Takorn made the remarks after an NBTC meeting yesterday with the Internet service providers (ISPs) and the international Internet gateway operators. They discussed the NBTC’s continuing campaign to remove homepages deemed to contain illicit content.
The NBTC will also ask the ministry to inform ISPs and related parties to remove the remaining illicit pages, he added.