A feature has been discovered in YouTube that completely transforms how the site looks.
The new Dark Mode changes the classic white and red theme of YouTube to black, and also makes some slight changes to the interface.
Dark Mode was spotted hidden away in the YouTube’s settings by an eagle eyed Redditor.
Dark Mode can be activated in no time at all, even if it requires a little bit of playing around with a few settings.
Dark Mode is currently only available on desktop and not on the YouTube mobile app. You’ll also need to be using Google Chrome (version 57 or above).
Here is how to activate YouTube Dark Mode:
- Open Google Chrome and sign into your YouTube account
- Open Chrome developer tools tab [Windows users press Ctrl + Shift + I, Mac users press Option + Cmd + I]
- Go to the Console tab and paste the following text: document.cookie=”VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE”
- Press enter
- Close developer tools and refresh the page.
- Click on your profile picture in the top right corner of the screen and select Dark Mode.
A word of warning – to go back to the regular version of YouTube without Dark Mode you will need to clear the cookies from your browsing data.