Along with the long queues at immigration, passing through airport security has to be one of the biggest bugbears of any traveller.
But next time you get annoyed, spare a thought for the airport security staff who have to try and determine if you are carrying contraband items in your hand luggage after glancing at it using the x-ray machine.
The photos below are from Italian security company Simulscan, who train staff in the art of x-ray screening.
The photos were actually released last year but have recently gone viral again on social media.
The photos show eight pieces of luggage, each containing a contraband item. There is no mistaking some of the items, which can be spotted easily.
However, some of the objects are nearly impossible to spot.
1. Here’s an easy one to begin with.
2. This one is slightly trickier, but can still be spotted easily
It’s a knife, of course!
3. Do you notice anything unusual here?
This is much harder to spot. It’s an aerosol, the likes of which are not allowed in your hand luggage.
4. How about this one? This is almost impossible to spot.
It’s a container of hand cream, which is not allowed in hand luggage.
5. This one isn’t a weapon. Do you spot anything unusual?
It’s a pair of pliers. You can’t take tools in your hand luggage.
6. This one is a bit more difficult
It’s a pen knife, not so easy to spot.
7. This one is obvious
It’s a knife, an ornamental one at that but which still can not be taken on to a plane.
8. Another one that shouldn’t prove to difficult.
It’s the handle of a gun. It’s actually a toy gun but imitation weapons and even toys are not permitted in hand luggage if they look realistic.