On Friday, China’s Defense Ministry denied that it was involved in a cyber attack on Register.com (a provider of Internet services), following a report on the Financial Times that the FBI was investigating the involvement of the Chinese military.
China denies hacking the US
“The relevant criticism that China’s military participated in Internet hacking is to play the same old tune, and is totally baseless,” the ministry said in a fax to Reuters, in response to a question about the story.
The Financial Times says that hackers accessed Register.com’s network for more than a year, but that the attack did not cause any disruption of cause any loss of data.
It’s not certain yet what the Chinese Military would be looking for, or what it would gain from the company’s data.
Register.com says on its website that it currently manages more than 2.5 million domain names (i.e. website addresses) and provides web design and management services.
The US and China seem to regularly accuse each other of hacking attempts. The Chinese state news agency Xinhua, citing a report from the National Computer Network Emergency Response Technical Team/Coordination Centre of China, said last year that 4,761 IP addresses in the United States controlled 5,580 Chinese websites through backdoor programs, allowing remote access to a computer.
The Chinese ministry also has repeated the government’s line that China is one of the world’s biggest victims of hacking.
“The Chinese government has all along resolutely opposed and dealt with in accordance with the law Internet hacking and other relevant criminal activities, and the Chinese military has never been involved in or participated in any activities to steal commercial secrets online,” it added.
The United States also needs to “give a clear explanation” of its theft of secrets and online surveillance “and not make thoughtless remarks about other people”, the ministry said.