The latest scandal to hit Facebook could be the social network’s undoing.
People are furious after it was discovered that the personal data of more than 50 million users has been compromised by a British company called Cambridge Analytica.
The firm had been allowed to harvest data from Facebook users since 2015. Facebook has even admitted that it knew the practice had been going.
That data was used in Donald Trump’s political campaign.
Needless to say, people aren’t happy, with #deletefacebook trending worldwide across social media.
On Tuesday, Twitter was flooded with screenshots from people who had deleted their Facebook account.
Finally deleted my @facebook account. If you're angry about what facebook has done with our data then just #deletefacebook We all moved on from MySpace we can move on from facebook too. Remember we aren't the customers we are the product #CambridgeAnalytica
— Eric (@ecarpen) March 17, 2018
— Daily Scene News (@DailyScene) March 20, 2018
The trend even contributed to Facebook’s share price plummeting by 6 percent in 24 hours.
If the the Cambridge Analytica revelations are the final straw, below you will find instructions on how to delete your Facebook account.
Be warned though. Facebook doesn’t make it easy!
And users should be aware that it can take up to 3 months for all your data to be permanently removed.
You can choose to ‘deactivate’ your account, but this means that Facebook still holds onto your data, even though your profile can not be viewed by others.
- Go to the ‘Settings’ option (located under the small arrow, next to the padlock in the top right hand corner of your screen)
- Click on the ‘Security’ tab
- Select “Deactivate your account”
- You will then be taken to a page where Facebook gives you a list of reasons why you should reconsider. Assuming that your mind is made up, click on the “Deactivate” button at the bottom of the page
- You have now switched off your account, NOT deactivated it – there are still 2 more steps to go
- It is advisable to download a copy of all your information. This is again done from the ‘Settings’ menu and selecting ‘Download a copy of your data’
- Click on this link: https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account and finally click ‘Delete my account’ and everything is now complete