Total Access Communication (DTAC) chief executive officer Lars Norling on Monday assured the mobile operator’s customers that they would not experience any interrupted network service after the company’s dual-spectrum concession expires in mid-September.
In a company statement, the CEO referred to local reports that National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) member Prawit Leesathapornwongsa had said no spectrum auctions would be held until late this year.
Norling said DTAC was well aware of the situation, and therefore ensured uninterrupted network services to customers after the end of its 1800MHz and 850MHz concession.
The acting NBTC membership was earlier expected to auction DTAC’s 1,800MHz and 850MHz spectra in May this year.
The Council of State has yet to reply to the regulator.
Norling added that DTAC fully hoped that the incoming NBTC board would review the auction rules and design in order to ensure that no artificial spectrum scarcity is created, and accelerate the future expansion of mobile data services for consumers in the Thailand 4.0 era.
As of the end of last year, DTAC had around 22.7 million mobile-phone subscribers.
Republished with permission from The Nation