Check out our OK Google Now commands list
Google Now, Google’s handy voice assistant app has undergone some pretty serious updates in recent months, none more so than with the roll out of Android Lollipop 5.0.
From searching for things online, creating reminders, organising your life, and even integrating with your cars built in sat-nav and entertainment system, Google Now has huge potential and is available on both Android and IOS.
But after launching the app, and saying ‘OK Google’ what else can you do?
Well surprisingly, Google Now currently boasts more than 60 voice commands with new updates being released all the time.
We’ve tested them out and even being located in Thailand, the accuracy of the responses was pretty good.
As you might expect, Bangkok seems to have the best coverage, but we also tested Google Now out in Hua Hin and the coverage was also relatively good.
In fact the only time it came into problems was when it needed to call on Google services which are not yet supported in Thailand, such as Google Play Music. But for everything else it seemed to manage quite well.
Of course, this might be a different story if you’re out in Nakhon Nowhere but if you live or are visiting say Chiang Mai, Phuket or Pattaya, I’d guess that you you’d be able to use Google Now to find out the location of hotels, coffee shops or restaurants, for example.
Perhaps most useful was the fact you can easily set reminders for things using Google Now, so you’ve never got an excuse of being late with the rent or forgetting to pay your electricity bill.
Anyway, give Google Now a try for yourself.
Here is a list of some of the coolest things it can do.
Launch Google Now, say “OK Google” and away you go….
Finding out general information
- How old is [David Beckham]?
- Where was [Clint Eastwood] born?
- What time is it in [London]?
- Search for [healthy eating tips]
- Define [happiness]or what is [happiness]?
- What’s the weather like in [Hua Hin]?
- Show me pictures of [Wat Po, Bangkok]
- What is [75kg] in [pounds]?
- How much is [5,000 Baht] in [USD]?
- What is the meaning of life?
- Who invented the car?
- How do you say [hospital]in Japanese?
- How do you say [no thank you]in Thai?
- [Pad Thai] recipe
Notes and reminders
- Remind me to [call John]at [3pm]
- Set alarm for [7am]
- Wake me up in [6 hours]
- Note to self: [I parked on the third floor]
- Open [thaivisa.com]
- Take a photo
- Open [gmail]
- What is my schedule for [tomorrow]
Travel related stuff
- Flight status of [AK 881]
- Has [AK881] landed?
- When will [AK 881] depart?
- Where is the nearest [coffee shop]
- How far is [Bangkok to Chiang Mai]?
- What are some things to do around here? (this worked well in Bangkok, not so well in Hua Hin).
- What date is Songkran in Thailand?
Sport and entertainment
- How are [Manchester United] doing?
- YouTube [videos of kittens]
- When it the next [Arsenal] game
- Did [Real Madrid] win their last game?
- Call [John]
- Call my [brother](only works if you set relationship)
- Email [John], [subject: Meeting] [message: will be there at 1pm]
- Make me a sandwich
- What is the meaning of life?
- How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
- What is your favourite colour?
- What is the best smartphone?
- Do a barrel roll
- What came first the chicken or the egg?
- Tell me a joke
- Beam me up, Scotty
Are there any other Google Now voice commands we’ve missed that we really should know about?
If there are, let us know in the comments section below.
Jonathan is our Google Nexus and Android enthusiast. He is also fanatical about football which makes it all the more strange that he should support Stockport County. In addition to writing about tech, Jonathan has a passion for fitness and nutrition and has previously written for one the UK’s leading watch and horology websites.