If you are worried that you might be missing out on the biggest craze in the history of the smartphone, here is how to download Pokemon Go on Android or iOS before it is officially released in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter.
The game, which was only released a week ago is one of the most talked about topics across around the world and has already been downloaded on more smartphones in the US than Tinder and Twitter.
The problem is the game has only been officially released in the United States, Australia, New Zealand and most recently Germany. Makers Niantic were forced to delay launching the game globally after its servers kept crashing as they were unable to keep up with demand.
The game is expected to be released in the UK, Europe and Japan by the end of the week, but there is still no official date for its release in Thailand or elsewhere.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t play Pokemon Go right now….
Downloading Pokemon Go on iOS
If you’re an iPhone user, playing the game outside of the one of the countries where it has been officially released is fairly straightforward.
In order to be able to download the app you need to pretend you are located in one of the countries where the game has been released.
You’ll probably need to setup a temporary gmail or some other email account though.
- Log out of your regular Apple ID by tapping on the Featured tab and selecting Apple ID and then ‘Sign Out’.
- Next, go the Settings app on your iPhone, then General > International > Region format and choose either United States, Australia or New Zealand.
- Go back into the app store and search for Pokemon Go. If it doesn’t appear try and download any other app. It is at this point you will be prompted to create a new Apple ID.
- Create the new ID and make sure you select ‘None’ when prompted to enter the Billing menu.
- You’ll also be asked to input an address so perhaps find the address of a hotel located in that specific country.
- Go back to the app store and you should now be able to download Pokemon Go.
Downloading Pokemon Go on Android
Downloading Pokemon Go for Android is much easier.
All you need to do is download what is known as an Android Application Package (APK) file, which is the file format used for Android apps. The APK file for Pokemon Go is available on sites such as APK Mirror and APK Pure.
A version at APK Mirror can be found here. Just click on the link from your Android smartphone.
However, you may need to update the security settings on your phone to allow downloads from unknown sources. You can do this by going to Settings > Security > permission to download from ‘Unknown sources’.
But before you do that you should be aware that downloading any apps outside of the Google Play Store can increase the chances of your device being infected with malware or other viruses.
In fact, there is already a version doing the rounds which cyber criminals are using to infect Android phones with malware, so be careful and if you don’t want to take the risk just wait until Pokemon Go is officially released in your country.