On Thursday, the social media giant announced it will put TV style commercial ad breaks in the middle of Facebook Live videos, and will also start testing ad breaks in the regular videos that appear in your News Feed.
The ads, which will play in the middle of videos, will be available to use for a small number of publishers as part of an early trial, Recode reported.
The ads will run after a Facebook video has been playing for at least 20 seconds and will spaced apart at two minute intervals, the company said.
Partners will receive a 55 percent split on ad revenue, with the remaining 45 percent going to Facebook.
“Publishers have historically been wary of video ads delivered from networks or exchanges because they can load slowly and are often unreliable,” Facebook said in a statement.
“With Audience Network, advertisers upload their ads and bids to Facebook in advance—allowing us to quickly run an auction and return an ad that’s a good experience for the person watching it.”
The ad breaks are currently only available to US broadcasters but Facebook says it will roll the feature out to additional countries in the future. Facebook also added that only pages or profiles with more than 2,000 followers can qualify for the Facebook Live ads.
The announcement, which was made in a post on Facebook’s blog is the first official confirmation of the new ad format after rumours of mid-video ads first circulated in January.
The introduction of video ads is another move by Facebook to take on YouTube and allow creators on the social network to make money from their videos.
In addition to YouTube, the new ads are another indication of Facebook’s plan to take on the TV industry. Earlier this month, Facebook announced the launch of a new app that enables users to watch Facebook videos from their smart TV.
It also comes after CEO Mark Zuckerberg recently said that he sees video as a “mega trend” with video offering huge ad revenue potential.
Jonathan is our Google Nexus and Android enthusiast. He is also fanatical about football which makes it all the more strange that he should support Stockport County. In addition to writing about tech, Jonathan has a passion for fitness and nutrition and has previously written for one the UK’s leading watch and horology websites.