Microsoft is finally backing off following widespread complaints from users about updating to Windows 10.
The company has confirmed that it will offer “clearer options” for users when it comes to upgrading or not upgrading to Windows 10.
The move comes following months of complaints from users who claimed that Microsoft was forcing them to upgrade.
Earlier this week a woman in the United States successfully sued the company and was awarded $10,000 in compensation after a failed automatic Windows 10 update left her computer unusable and brought disruption to her running her business.
The woman said the Windows 10 update was installed on her computer without her permission.
Back in February, with the tech giant eager to accelerate the adoption of Windows 10, Microsoft changed the way it asked users to upgrade to the latest version of its operating system.
This meant that the automatic Windows 10 update was given ‘recommended’ status, something which is normally only done for critical security updates.
Users were then prompted to update to Windows 10.
However, if they clicked on a red ‘X’, normally associated with exiting out of a program or Window, the upgrade would start automatically, despite the user trying to opt out of the upgrade.
Users took to social media to say they felt tricked into updating and criticised Microsoft for its aggressive tactics in getting people to upgrade.
Microsoft has now said that it will change the process and admitted that it was confusing for users.
“The new experience has clearer options to upgrade now, choose a time, or decline the free offer,” Microsoft said in a statement.
“If the red-x is selected on this new dialog, it will dismiss the dialog box and we will notify the device again in a few days.
“We continue to recommend all of our customers upgrade to Windows 10 before the free upgrade offer expires on July 29”, the company added.