Sony Pictures are now considering releasing The Interview on YouTube.
After having cancelled the contentious comedy’s release date, along with future VOD, DVD and home releases, the chief executive of Sony insisted that the company still want people to view the film.
Michael Lynton, the studio’s chief executive, had insisted on Sunday that it had ‘not caved’ to hackers who crippled the company; and that it was seeking way to let the public view the film.
In an interview with CNN’s Fareed Zakaria, Michael Lynton had restored the idea to the future release of the comedy film, stating that the company is considering the release. Sony followed up on Lynton’s note with a statement that read, ‘It is still our hope that anyone who wants to see this movie will get the opportunity to do so’.
The company refused to comment on whether any distributors have agreed to help the company with the situation.
Mr Lynton replied back on Sunday, stating that Sony still wants to release the film. “We have always had every desire to have the American public see this movie.” he says.
He also said that cinema chains refusal to carry the film was the real reason behind the cinematic cancellation of the interview. ‘At that point in time we had no alternative but to proceed with the theatrical release on 25th December. And that’s all we did. We did not cave, we have not given in, and we have not backed down’.
The original statement from Sony, had appeared to rule out any attempt to release ‘The Interview’.
Here’s part of the CNN interview with Michael Lynton:
However, in an attempt to regain the moral high ground, Mr Lynton said that it was in fact considering digital and video on-demand options even though there is a lack of support from distributors.“There has not been one major video on-demand distributor, one major e-commerce site that has stepped forward and said it is willing to distribute this movie for us,” he said. “We don’t have that direct interface with the American public and need an intermediary to do to that.”
As the US President Barack Obama had expressed disappointment with the company’s decision to remove the movie, with the threats that were given which had thought to originate from North Korea.
The US government had blamed North Korea for the cyber-attack upon Sony, which then paralysed Hollywoods studio’s computer networks and had broadcast their digital archives all over the internet.
Unidentified terrorist threats last week, that were to target screenings, provoked cinemas and other distributors to refuse to show ‘The Interview’. The studio had cancelled the film’s release on the 25th of December, and had said it had ‘no plans’ for the release in any form. President Barack Obama and many other people accused the studio of surrendering to intimidation and setting a precedent for censorship.
Amazon, Netflix, TimeWarner and other big companies have not yet made any immediate comment. Nor have Google, which owns Youtube.
Judd Apatow, the director of the film, had predicted last week that the film would be available on BitTorrent within six weeks. The company says that they have more than 170 million active users monthly.