The GoPro is without doubt the most popular action camera on the market, but they’re not cheap. I have a second-generation GoPro that I use whenever I’m on holiday and am riding a motorbike. They’re amazing devices that produce brilliant quality video. In fact, the latest models offer 4K video and connect to a smartphone so you can preview the images and take pictures.
If you don’t want to fork out up to 20,000 baht for the latest GoPro, what’s the alternative?
Xiaomi Yi Action Camera give GoPro a run for their money
There are of course other ‘action’ type cameras that you can buy, from the likes of Sony and lots of Chinese manufacturers. However, the most exciting is perhaps the Xiaomi Yi Action Camera that comes from China. It’s not really on a par with GoPro’s expensive and feature-packed offerings, but it will do well in the budget market, mainly due to its entry level price.
The Xiaomi Yi Action Camera now sells in Thailand on a couple of websites (though electronics stores in Bangkok will no doubt soon offer them too). LNWgadget offers the camera for a shade over 3,500 baht, and Lazada has it in stock for 3,480 baht – however they’re sold on their own without protective cases or any other accessories.
Here are the specs of the camera:
The specs of the Xiaomi Yi Action Camera are as follows:
- 72 Grams and made from PC + ABS and metal composite materials
- Sony Exmor R BSI CMOS 16 Million Pixel Sensor
- 155° (Mobile Phone 89°) Wide Angle Lens
- 3D Noise Reduction
- WiFi Connectivity (Up to 100 Metres), easily transfer video and photos to your smartphone
- BLE Ultra-low power consumption
- Bluetooth and Remote App control
- 4 Operating modes include; Photo, Time-lapse photo, Timed photo and Video
- Share to social media within 10 seconds using the smartphone APP
Unfortunately, while they are cheap, they’re still selling for more than the equivalent of $100 in Thailand, whereas if you buy one in China it costs just $64 – so there’s still a bit of a markup.
Nonetheless, the Yi Action Camera is one cool piece of kit, and you could do a lot worse than get your hands on one to take some great videos.