GoPro-style cameras are all the rage these days – they can be strapped to a motorcycle helmet, a car, a surfboard – you name it…and they produce amazing quality videos. Now, Chinese company Xiaomi is getting in on the game with a new action cam, the YiCamera, which shoots video at in incredible 60fps and costs just $64…
Xiaomi has definitely made a name for itself in the last few years, basically by creating hardware with amazing specs and incredibly low prices. For example – its $640 49-inch 4K TV.
The new Xiaomi YiCamera has a 16 Megapixel Sony Exmor R CMOS sensors, and provides a 155-degree panoramic view with slow motion recording and time lapse capabilities. It’s pretty cheap, especially when you consider that its nearest rival is probably the GoPro Hero 4 Silver which costs around $400.
Xiaomi has been one of the most exciting manufacturers in China over the last few years, and this camera demonstrates just how it’s prepared to undercut its competitors’ prices by massive margins. At its peak last year it managed to sell 1.16 million smartphones in just one day.
Unfortunately, this is one of those gadgets that might be a little hard to get hold of, since Xiaomi hasn’t started selling it internationally yet in markets such as the US. It would likely face some patent lawsuits from GoPro and others if it tried, though you might be able to find imports in electronics shops in Bangkok if you look hard.
The specs of the Xiaomi YiCamera are as follows:
- 72 Grams and made from PC + ABS and metal composite materials
- Sony Exmor R BSI CMOS 16 Million Pixel Sensor
- 155° (Mobile Phone 89°) Wide Angle Lens
- 3D Noise Reduction
- WiFi Connectivity (Up to 100 Metres), easily transfer video and photos to your smartphone
- BLE Ultra-low power consumption
- Bluetooth and Remote App control
- 4 Operating modes include; Photo, Time-lapse photo, Timed photo and Video
- Share to social media within 10 seconds using the smartphone APP